Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) members and veterans now benefit from an enhanced baggage allowance when they travel on a Porter Airlines, WestJet or Air Canada flights for both duty and leisure travel.
Air Canada’s military baggage policy entitles cardholders to check three pieces of luggage, each weighing up to 32 kg (70 lb), free of charge. WestJet’s policy entitles cardholders to check a maximum of four pieces of luggage (or three pieces of luggage on WestJet Encore flights) for free. Porter Airlines` policy stipulates that it will waive baggage fees for cardholders for up to three pieces of checked luggage provided no single piece exceeds 203 cm (80 in) in total dimensions or weighs more than 32 kg (70 lb).
To have your baggage fee waived, see an airport agent after you check in and present your military identification. There are several acceptable forms of Canadian military identification including the Federal Retirees CAF veteran membership card:
- DND ID card for National Defense (NDI 20)
- Record of Service Card (NDI 75)
- Discharge Certificate from any branch of the Canadian Military
- Statement of Service from any branch of the Canadian Military
- Certificate of Service (CF 54 or CF 75) from any branch of the Canadian Military
- Valid DND Temporary ID card (NDI 10)
- CAF or veteran CFOne Card (with photo identification)
- Federal Retirees CAF Veteran Membership Card (with photo identification)
Air Canada also accepts any Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Benefit Card as acceptable identification.
Each airline has its own military baggage policy so be sure to contact them prior to booking if you have any questions or you would like to confirm your eligibility.
Please note that these offers do not extend to current and former members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).