As a result of the 2017 Saskatchewan provincial budget, effective August 1, 2017, federal public service employees and retirees who live and work in Saskatchewan will have to pay 6% provincial sales tax on insurance premiums for the following group insurance benefit plans:
- Public Service Health Care Plan
- Public Service Dental Care Plan
- Pensioners’ Dental Services Plan
- Public Service Management Insurance Plan, which includes the Long-Term Disability Insurance Plan
- Disability Insurance Plan
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police Life and Disability Insurance Plans
In addition, federal public service employees and retirees who reside in Saskatchewan will have to pay provincial sales tax on Supplementary Death Benefit Plan premiums.
Quebec is the only other province that charges such taxes at this time.
For more information, please contact the Pensions and Benefits Sector of the Treasury Board Secretariat at email@example.com